Did you know?
• That one of Blackfalds’ first residents, arriving in the area in 1890, had a very interesting farming practice?
Arthur D. Gregson made his income by raising Pine Martens ( along with mink and foxes ) and he collected the fleas found in the pelts and sent them back to his native England, where he was paid for the specimens by the Rothchilds. This collection was donated to the British Museum.
• Blackfalds was named the fastest-growing community in Alberta and Canada as early as 1958, and several times since then, up to the present day.
• Blackfalds’ original name was Waghorn, named after the first postmaster, Walter Waghorn, who came to the district in 1890s.
• One of Blackfalds’ first stores, the Pioneer Store, was built by John McKay, and still stands on Broadway Avenue and is in use today as the After the Grind Coffee Shop.
• Blackfalds’ first school teacher was a Miss Alice Grigg, who taught in 1893 in the one-room schoolhouse built that same year.
• That the Blackfalds Post Office blew up and was completely destroyed on March 2, 1991, due to a gas leak from an underground line? No one was injured, because it happened late at night.
-Blackfalds & Area Historical Society