In response to the Province of Alberta’s update to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Town of Blackfalds is closing all Town facilities effective Monday March 16, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. until April 15, 2020.
This includes the Abbey Centre (Field House, Fitness Studios, Program Room, Child Minding, Border Paving Fitness Centre, Red Deer Kinsmen Indoor Play Space, Running Track, etc.), Family and Community Support Services, Blackfalds Public Library, the Civic Cultural Centre, Multi-Plex Arena (Ag Room, Banquet Room, Dry Floor/Ice), Operations Centre, the Wadey Centre and the Community Centre (Main Hall and Multi-Purpose Room).
“The Town of Blackfalds has chosen to take a proactive approach to minimize risk to the health and safety of our citizens,” stated Mayor Richard Poole. “I know our Council has expressed their overwhelming confidence that existing emergency procedures are put in place to deal with both the expected, and the unexpected. Actions are being taken to enable our staff to work safely and ensure that all Town operations are maintained and any future actions taken reflect the best practices that are being suggested by the experts who [are] most able to provide direction.”
“It is paramount at this point in time that we close our facilities. Especially with the schools now closed, how do we ensure that we are minimizing the spread of the virus and ensure that we’re not being part of the problem?” said Emergency Management and Protective Services Manager Ken Morrison. “It’s not something we do lightly, but it’s something we obviously need to move forward with.”
- Guest Services will be contacting all persons who have booked a facility for rent as soon as possible.
- If Abbey Members have any concerns or questions regarding their memberships, please contact Guest Services.
- The Civic Cultural Centre will be closed, but you can contact us by phone, social media platforms and/or email. If you require any information or forms regarding utilities, taxes, business licenses, or other town services please visit blackfalds.com. The Centre does have a drop-box available.
- For your own protection and our staff, we ask that you please refrain from coming to the Municipal office in-person.
- The Protective Services Building (Blackfalds Fire Department) will be closed to the public. Operations will continue with minimal effect on services. You can reach them at 403.885.3300 (RCMP Administration), 403.885.3333 (Police Assist -Complaints), 403.885.4144 (Fire Department) and 403.885.0020 (Community Peace Officers & Animal Control). For emergencies, please call 911.
- All youth programs, fitness programs, arts and culture programs and events have been postponed until further notice – registrants of these programs will be contacted.
On behalf of Council and staff, the Town of Blackfalds would like to assure residents that the risk of contracting COVID-19 is still low in Alberta.
The Town’s top priority is the health, safety and well-being of the public and our employees. We therefore will continue to maintain the essential services that our residents rely on.
The Town of Blackfalds has created a COVID-19 web page specifically designed to host the latest information regarding the virus.
Thank you for your patience during this time.
*Please note:The Transfer Station will remain open with normal operating hours 10:30 am -6:30 pm Wednesday through Sunday. Business as usual – we apologize for any confusion