BLACKFALDS – The Town of Blackfalds would like to reiterate that the risk of contracting COVID-19 is still low in Alberta.
PUBLIC FACILITY CLOSURES
The town’s top priority is the health, safety and well-being of the public and our employees. It is therefore imperative that they continue to do everything they can to mitigate the spread of the virus and encourage all residents to practice social distancing and personal hygiene, said the town in a media release.
The town has decided to extend the public facility closure to May 15, 2020.
This includes the Abbey Centre (Field House, Fitness Studios, Program Room, Child Minding, Border Paving Fitness Centre, Red Deer Kinsmen Indoor Play Space, Running Track, etc.), Blackfalds Public Library, the Civic Cultural Centre, Multi-Plex Arena (Ag Room, Banquet Room, Dry Floor/Ice), Operations Centre, the Wadey Centre, and the Community Centre (Main Hall and Multi-Purpose Room).
At this time, they are keeping parks and playgrounds open. The town would like to remind any visitors to use playground equipment at your own risk and to please wash your children’s hands and clothes after playing in order to minimize the potential spread of the virus. Please observe warning signage placed at entrance of park.
The town will continue to maintain most essential services that our residents rely on. Please note the following updates to services:
- Starting Monday, March 23, 2020, the solid waste management contractor for the Town of Blackfalds will temporarily pick up waste and recycling bins in one pass to pick up totes and will not be separating the materials. This means that you may dispose of your recycling into your waste bin, but please do not use your blue bin for waste to avoid contamination once normal pick up resumes. You may also choose to collect your recycling until pick up service returns to normal.
- The Transfer Station will remain open and operate as usual.
- The Bark Park remains open. Currently there is no evidence that companion animals transmit the virus to humans. Please observe warning signage placed at entrance of park.
- Addition of online Business Resource Centre – a one-stop location to assist businesses.
|Regular Council Meeting||Civic Centre||March 24||7:00 pm||Closed to the public.|
Live Stream available
|Parent Link Farewell||Community Centre||March 25||9:30 am||Cancelled|
|Spring Market||Abbey Centre||March 28||10:00 am||Re-scheduled to May 24|
|Family Easter Event||Abbey Centre||April 4||Cancelled|
|Ground-breaking/Raise the Rink||Multi-Plex Arena||April 4||4:30 pm /5:30 pm||Postponed|
|Volunteer Appreciation||Community Centre||April 24||6:00 pm||Postponed|
|Youth Week||Various||May 1 – 7||Various||Activities cancelled.|
Online activities TBA.
|Intergenerational Strawberry Tea||Community Centre||May 5||10:00 am||Cancelled|
|Youth Recognition||Community Centre||May 7||6:00 pm||Postponed|
|Operations Centre Public Open House||Operations Centre||May 14||1:00 pm||Cancelled|
All fitness, FCSS, and Arts & Culture programs are cancelled.
- The Abbey Centre Fitness Programmer, Julia, is providing daily workouts to do at home while the Abbey Centre is closed. Please check the Fitness Centre page for daily updates.
- All remaining C’amped Day Camps are cancelled.
- The Wadey Visitor Information Centre’s drop-in programs are cancelled.
- Community Gardens Registrations are postponed. Please visit the Community Gardens web page for updates.
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) INFORMATION
For any information on the virus, how to protect yourself, and helpful links, see the blackfalds.com/COVID-19 webpage.
Please continue to follow the guidelines as laid out by Alberta Health Services (AHS) and the Province of Alberta. Keep yourself informed by keeping up to date from other credible sources, such as Health Canada and the World Health Organization.
Effective March 21, the United States and Canada are temporarily restricting all non-essential travel across its borders for 30 days. For more info, visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.
If you are feeling unwell, start experiencing a fever or cough, even if it is mild, please:
- Self-isolate yourself immediately and call 8-1-1.
- Do not go to emergency, medical clinic or your doctor’s office.
- Health Link officials at 8-1-1 will arrange testing.